Top 5 Canadian Immigration Skilled Worker Questions

Monday, June 29, 2009 |

Top 5 Canadian Immigration Skilled Worker Questions are following:

1) What happens to my Simplified Application if the pass-mark changes after submission?

Currently, the pass mark for Skilled Workers is 67 points. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada and its Regulations 2002 permit the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada to change the pass mark and even to implement the change retroactively. We do not know if in the future, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will impose a pass mark change retroactively. The Federal Court of Canada has indicated its disfavour with the practice of retroactivity in Canadian immigration matters. A “lock in” for points total at time of application does not exist in the Act or Regulations as it does for a primary applicant or her/his spouse’s age
for example.

2) If I have already submitted a skilled worker application under the simplified process do I need to let CIC know of job/address changes etc?

After you have submitted your application to the High Commission, contact them with change of address information only. The High Commission requests that you not contact them with
other information on changes until you have received a request for updated information. Then you can submit updated information (i.e. – change of employer, birth of child). Information may well change several times during the processing time and therefore waiting for the request for updated information eliminates paperwork for the Commission and may help to streamline the process.

3) When I land and show proof of funds, what currency does this need to be in and in what format must the proof be? What is the minimum amount I need to show?

Upon arriving in Canada, one will be asked by a Canada Border Services Agency officer to show proof of funds. A person must show enough money to support him/herself and dependants after
arrival in Canada. The minimum required amount for one person is currently $10,168 CAN, $18,895 CAN for a family of four and $26,170 CAN for a family of seven or more. You can show current bank or investment statement in your home currency. Ensure that the paperwork you have in hand meets the minimum amount required simply by doing conversion from the currency stated to Canadian funds and have that number ready to state.


Please note: If you arrive carrying more than $10,000 CAN , you must disclose this to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer. It is a serious offence not to disclose (fine or jail
time). If you have more than $10,000 CAN in cash, securities, cheques or money orders, you must submit a Form E677 available on the CBSA site and fillable at

This requirement must be met only if you have the funds on your person or are couriering the funds. This requirement does not need to be met if you have transferred funds via your bank or
monetary exchange company, as these institutions take care of the necessary paperwork on your behalf.

4) Do non-accompanying dependents have to have a medical? I don’t think my estranged children (or their mother) will agree to this.

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, 2002, Section 30. (1) Medical examination required – “the following foreign nationals are requested to submit, and must submit to a medical examination (a) foreign nationals who are applying for a permanent resident visa or applying to remain in Canada as a permanent resident as well as their family members,
whether accompanying or not;” It must be ascertained by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that your nonaccompanying dependents are not inadmissible on health grounds. Even
though at this time you do not plan to have your children live with you in Canada, it must considered that in the future the children, while still your dependants may need to live with you in Canada. They must be admissible on health grounds to live in Canada, thus they will need to have medicals done when you are called forward for yours.

5) Will my processing fee (cost recovery fee) be refunded if I decide to cancel my application?

You may request and receive a refund of the cost recovery fee submitted for your Skilled Worker application any time before the initial screening of the application by a visa office. Once an application has gone through initial screening, the cost recovery fee is not refundable. (Taken from Overseas Processing Manual 6, Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Note: Always check official authorities for latest updates. Visit official Canadian Immigration website for details.


Disclaimer: This site is designed to provide general information on Immigration and Settlement related issues. For latest information on immigration rules and laws, please visit appropriate immigration website(s).
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver