Credential Recognition For Canadian Immigration

Friday, April 30, 2010 |

The following information will help you with getting your credentials recognized in Canada. In many cases, in order to work in your profession, you will need to have your credentials assessed to see whether you meet the Canadian standard or need more training, education or Canadian work experience.
Qualifying as a skilled worker for immigration to Canada does not mean that your educational credentials and work experience will be recognized or that you will be qualified to work in a particular occupation.
Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada. The term Federal Skilled Worker refers to the category under which skilled workers apply if they want to live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec.
The selection criteria for skilled worker immigrants are not intended to match specific immigrants with specific employment vacancies. The criteria do not guarantee that your qualifications will be accepted or approved by any licensing or regulatory body in Canada.
Qualifying to immigrate to Canada, having your educational credentials recognized, qualifying to work in a particular occupation and finding employment are separate issues. You must be aware of these issues if you are thinking of immigrating to Canada.

Types of occupations: Regulated and non-regulated

In Canada, there are two types of occupations: regulated (including trades) and non-regulated.

Jobs in regulated occupations

Many professions set their own standards of practice. These are called regulated occupations.
In Canada, about 20 percent of jobs are in occupations regulated by the provincial or territorial governments. Through legislation and regulations, the provinces and territories delegate to professions the authority to self-regulate in order to protect public health and safety, and to ensure that professionals meet the required standards of practice and competence.
If you want to work in a regulated occupation and use a regulated title, you must have a licence or a certificate or be registered with the regulatory body for your occupation in the province or territory where you plan to work.
Some fields where regulated occupations are commonly found include:
  • health care
  • financial services
  • law and legal services
  • engineering
Regulated occupations are also called professions, skilled trades or apprenticeable trades.
Requirements for entry into a regulated occupation can vary between provinces and territories. They usually include:
  • examinations
  • an evaluation of your language and communication skills
  • a specified period of supervised work experience
Each regulated occupation sets its own requirements for licensure or certification, usually through the provincial or territorial regulatory body or professional association.
  • To find out about the licensing requirements for different provinces and territories, use the Working in Canada Tool.

Jobs in non-regulated occupations

A job in a non-regulated occupation is one for which you don’t need a licence, certificate or registration to work. Most jobs in Canada are in non-regulated occupations.
Requirements for employment can vary greatly between employers, but you must be prepared to demonstrate that you have the education or experience to do the job.
You may be expected to demonstrate a certain level of skill and competence, to have a specific amount of education, and even to have personal characteristics suitable for the job. For example, working in the field of marketing is not regulated, but it is likely that employers will expect you to have a degree or a certificate in business with some specialization or experience in marketing.
It is up to the employer to decide whether the qualifications you have earned outside Canada are equivalent to Canadian credentials (qualifications) required for the job.
Some employers will require, as a condition for employment, that applicants be registered or certified by the relevant professional association. Credential assessment and recognition helps Canadian employers understand your qualifications.
There are several ways to make the process easier:
  • Search your occupation on the Working in Canada tool to see a job description, find the professional association and learn what skills are required to do this job in Canada.
  • Check if there is voluntary certification or registration available and what the requirements are for certification. The Working in Canada tool can also help you with this.
  • Contact employers in your area of work experience to find out what the expectations are for employment in Canada.

Regulatory bodies/ Apprenticeship authorities

A regulatory body or an apprenticeship authority is an organization that sets the standards of practice for a profession or trade. They have the authority to:
  • set entry and training requirements
  • set standards of practice
  • assess qualifications
  • register qualified applicants
  • discipline members

How do I get my credentials or qualifications recognized?

It is important to understand how your profession will evaluate your academic training, your work experience, and your skills and competencies. Most often, this evaluation will include:
  • matching your training and skills to the profession’s standards by comparing your original academic transcripts and other related documents, such as university course descriptions, to the training provided by Canadian colleges and universities.
  • writing examinations or having an interview or both. You will be evaluated as an individual, and you should not directly compare your experience to that of someone else. You must understand the requirements as they apply to your own situation in the province or territory where you intend to work.
Steps to follow:
  • Use the Working in Canada Tool to create a report that will tell you whether your job is in a regulated occupation and help you find the correct regulatory body or apprenticeship authority.
  • Compare your qualifications to the requirements for licensing, certification or registration to work in that job in that province or territory, which can be found by using the Working in Canada Tool.
  • Contact the regulatory body for your profession in your province or territory or visit its website to determine what you need to do to obtain a licence or authorization. You will be required to demonstrate that your training, experience and other skills are equivalent to the standards that people trained in Canada must also meet.
  • Have an assessment done to determine the Canadian equivalent of the education you obtained outside of Canada. This is necessary because your academic credentials may not be automatically recognized as equivalent to Canadian standards. In many cases, you will be required to use an assessment agency to do this.
  • Note that in many cases, you can have your academic credentials assessed and begin the application process for licensure or certification before you leave your home country. If you plan to work in a regulated occupation, the regulatory body or apprenticeship authority can advise you on the steps you can take before arriving in Canada.
Note: The recognition process is different in each province or territory and for each profession and trade. If you need to have your credentials assessed for educational purposes, contact the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials. It assists individuals, employers, professionals and organizations with foreign credential recognition and the assessment of diplomas and qualifications in Canada.

Working in the trades

If you work in the trades, provincial or territorial regulations and academic and work experience requirements also apply. Examples of trades include plumbers, carpenters and hair stylists. Find a full list of trades and related work information on the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program website.
Public safety and security as well as the physical safety of the worker are concerns for people working in the trades. For example, learning the operation or manipulation of heavy machinery, chemicals or complicated equipment takes time and students training in these jobs work under close supervision until they can prove that they can work by themselves and offer a complete range of skills to employers and the public.
You will be required to demonstrate that your training, skills and experience meet the standard set for people trained in Canada. Each province or territory is responsible for setting the requirements for working in the trades. Provincial or territorial requirements may differ.
  • Use the Working in Canada Tool to create a report that will help you find the correct apprenticeship authority.

What should I do if I can’t get a licence or certification in my profession or trade?

Getting a licence and finding work in your profession or trade will take time whether you received your training in Canada or elsewhere.
If you do not meet the requirements for your profession in Canada or you are in the process of meeting the licensure or certification requirements, you may decide to work in a related field to apply your training, skills and experience. This is an effective way to learn about the Canadian workplace and a good way to make contacts.
For example, if you are in the process of getting a licence to be a physiotherapist, perhaps you can consider looking for work as a physiotherapy assistant. If you are hoping to work as a plumber, you may consider looking for work with property management companies.
Some steps you can take include:
  • Use the Planning to Work in Canada? Workbook for information about finding work that uses your skills and talents.
  • Ask the regulator or apprenticeship authority if they have any advice or resources to help you find work.
  • Join work-related associations so that you can meet people who might have good advice for you.


The words credentials, competencies and qualifications are sometimes used interchangeably. However, these words do have very specific meanings associated with different elements involved in the assessment of internationally trained individuals for the purposes of working in Canada.
Credentials refers to degrees or certificates that are earned after the completion of the required academic training, such as a Bachelor of Science degree or a Certificate in Human Resources. Credentials are usually evaluated by comparing the content of the courses taken and the requirements to complete the degree or certificate with the requirements for the same or similar degrees or certificates in Canada.
Competencies refers to skills and abilities that can be demonstrated. In some cases, these skills may have been learned as part of your academic training, while in other cases, they may be the result of work experience. There is a wide variety of skills and competencies as well as ways to evaluate them.
Qualifications often includes both credentials and competencies as well as work experience. Work experience is normally evaluated by comparing the kind of work you have been doing, the amount of time, the level at which you’ve been doing it, and the kind of results you have achieved. In evaluating your qualifications for the purpose of licensure, some professions, such as engineering, have requirements for the kind of projects you have worked on to demonstrate that you have experience at a required level of responsibility.

What documents do I need?

There are many documents related to your education and your experience that help regulatory bodies, assessment agencies or employers understand your international qualifications. The types of documents that are required vary, and could include:
  • Degrees, diplomas or certificates from universities, colleges, secondary schools or trade schools
  • Program descriptions related to your studies
  • Transcripts of grades
  • Apprenticeship certificates
  • Letters from employers
  • Performance reviews
  • Work descriptions for jobs you have done
  • Letters of reference
Where possible, it is best to have documents sent directly from schools or other organizations to Canada. This may also be a requirement of the regulator. Check with the regulatory body, employer, credential assessment agency or educational institution to find out what their requirements are. This is something you can do before you leave for Canada.
Getting documents translated
You may need to have these documents translated into English, French or both.
  • Check the website or contact the regulatory body or apprenticeship authorityto determine the translation requirements.
  • Note that you may also be required to use an approved translation service. You will have to pay for translation if it is needed.
Missing documents
If you cannot get the documents you need to confirm your education, skills and experience, contact the regulatory body or apprenticeship authorityand ask them how you should proceed. 

Related information: 

Canadian Immigration - The Beginners Guide

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 |

Immigrating to Canada on a permanent basis is a great opportunity. However, there are some things that you prefer the application for permanent residence into account. If you want to emigrate to Canada, there are several ways to apply. You should decide immigration program that works best for you and your family.

Foreigners can come to Canada either Permanent Resident status or temporary resident status. This quick guide, we will explore these possibilities.

Permanent Residence

What does being a permanent resident of Canada? Once you are issued a visa Immigration Canada for permanent residence, you have most of the same rights and obligations as Canadian citizens. After three years of residence in Canada, you can apply for Canadian citizenship. Or you can keep your permanent status indefinitely as long as they accumulate two full years of residence in Canada, during a period of five years.

There are six main categories of Canadian immigration (permanent residence):

   1. Federal Skilled Worker
   2. Quebec Skilled Worker
   3. Provincial nominee programs (PNP)
   4. Family Class Sponsorship
   5. Business Immigration
   6. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

1. Federal Skilled Worker
This category is for applicants from skilled workers who can be economically established in Canada after arrival. There are three main characteristics of an individual must possess to be eligible to immigrate under the skilled worker category.

  • A minimum level of work experience - at least one year of full-time employment (or its equivalent part time) in the period of 10 years before applying. This work experience must be of a qualified, classified as one of 38 high demand occupations in Canada (see list below), the satisfaction of any skill type 0 or skill level A or B in the National Classification of Occupations in Canada (NOC) system.
  • Adequate financial resources - to support themselves and their dependents for six months after his arrival in Canada. If you have a job offer approved, this requirement does not apply.
  • 67 points assessment - to measure a potential applicant to settle in Canada. Applicants are scored based on six different selection factors (below). A satisfactory score on this assessment, however, does not guarantee approval, as Canadian immigration officials visas may use their discretion to approve or reject an application based on an assessment replaced.

List of the 38 high demand occupations: (These instructions apply to any application submitted after February 27, 2008)

    * Accommodation Service Managers
    * Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
    * Chefs
    * College and Other Vocational Instructors
    * Computer and Information Systems Managers
    * Construction Managers
    * Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
    * Contractors and supervisors, the crew of heavy construction equipment
    * Contractors and Supervisors, Trades Plumbing
    * Cooks
    * Crane operators
    * Drillers and Blasters - Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction
    * Electricians (except industrial and power system)
    * Financial Auditors and Accountants
    * Financial Managers
    * General Practitioners and Family Physicians
    * Engineering Geologists
    * Geologists, geochemists and geophysicists
    * Head Nurses and Supervisors
    * Mechanics of Heavy-Duty Equipment
    * Industrial Electricians
    * Nursing Assistants
    * Managers of health care
    * Medical Radiation Technologists
    * Mining Engineers
    * Occupational Therapists
    * Petroleum Engineers
    Physiotherapists *
    * Plumbers
    * Registered Nurses
    * Restaurant and Food Service Managers
    * Medical Specialists
    * Steam, Pipefitters and irrigation system installers
    * Supervisors, Mining and Quarrying
    * Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Services
    * Supervisors, Oil, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities
    * University Professors
    * Welders and Related Machine Operators

Education (maximum 25 points)
  •   Ranges from five points to complete high school at 25 points to complete a master's or Ph.D.
  •   The system also gives credit for business licenses or apprenticeship programs.

Language Skills (maximum 24 points)
  •  Canada uses both English and French as official languages, and may receive credit for a domain, or both.
  • Marks are awarded separately for the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing each official language.

Experience (maximum 21 points)
  • Full points are awarded for four or more years experience in an occupation that fall in Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B in the National Occupational Classification of Canada (NOC) system.
Age (maximum 10 points)
  • Full points are awarded to applicants aged 21-49
Jobs (maximum 10 points)
  • Applicants may receive these points if they have a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer, or are applying from within Canada and hold a temporary work permit.
  • Adaptability (maximum 10 points)
  • This class introduces a number of factors related to an applicant's ability to adapt to living in Canada, including previous experience working or studying in Canada, or have family in Canada.

Together these three elements, along with medical and security clearance requirements make up the bulk of the requirements to come to Canada in the Federal Skilled Worker category.

2. Quebec Skilled Worker
Under an agreement between the Province of Quebec and the Government of Canada, the province of Quebec has its own selection process for the category of skilled worker immigration. If you intend to live in Quebec upon arrival in Canada will be charged on the basis of the Quebec selection criteria and assessments used by the CIC.

As the federal, Quebec uses a points-based system for assessing potential immigrants, however, slightly different criteria. To qualify for a Quebec Selection Certificate, individual applicants must score at least 60 points in the next ten selection criteria, while an applicant with a spouse or partner must achieve a minimum score of 68 points.

Training (maximum 29 points):
  • Points are awarded separately for both education and work-related training.
  • Additional points are awarded for having more than one specialty area.
Validated Jobs (maximum 10 points):
  • Points are awarded for having a job offer from an employer in Québec, the more points awarded for work outside the Montreal area.
Experience (maximum 9 points):
  •  Full points are awarded for four or more years experience in an occupation that fall in Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B in the National Occupational Classification of Canada (NOC) system.
Age (maximum 18 points):
  • Full points are awarded for being between the ages of 18-35.
Language Proficiency (maximum 22 points):
  • French is the official language of the province of Quebec. The Quebec selection criteria to value oral language skills rather than reading comprehension. Up to 16 points are available for oral interaction in French, with an additional six available for oral interaction in English
Stay and Family in Quebec (maximum 9 points):
  • After having spent some time living in the past, work or study in Quebec, and the family in the province will help establish a prospective immigrants themselves more easily. Points are awarded for both areas.
Characteristics of spouse (maximum 18 points):
  • If the applicant is accompanied by a spouse or partner, may be awarded points for spouse's education, training, work experience, age and language.
Children (maximum 8 points):
  • To the maximum, 4 points are awarded for each child under 12 years of age, and 2 points for each child between 13 and 21.
Financial self-sufficiency (1 point):
  • One point is awarded for having sufficient funds for financial self-sufficiency upon arrival. An applicant who does not meet this requirement the application is automatically rejected.

Adaptability (maximum 8 points):
  •    This class uses a comprehensive assessment of the applicant's ability to adapt to life in Quebec.
Meeting these requirements will result in the issuance of a Quebec Selection Certificate, which is recognized by the CIC for immigration to Quebec. The applicant must also pass a security check and medical examination.

3. Provincial nominee programs (PNP)
The PNP is composed of partnerships between the Government of Canada and most provincial and territorial governments to select the people to immigrate to Canada and settle in that province or territory in particular. Under the terms of these agreements, the provinces may nominate applicants who are in high demand occupations or otherwise make important contributions to the province, the rapid change of permanent residence.

The following provinces and territories currently participate in the Provincial Nominee Program:

    * Alberta
    * British Columbia
    * Manitoba
    * New Brunswick
    * Newfoundland and Labrador
    * Nova Scotia
    * Ontario
    * Prince Edward Island
    * Saskatchewan
    * Yukon

provincial candidates are not evaluated in the six selection criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Each province or territory has its own set of criteria. Most require that the applicant has a job offer from an employer in the province or territory.

After receiving the Provincial Nomination Certificate, then the candidates receive priority processing for their applications for permanent residence.

4. Family Class Sponsorship
Through Family Sponsorship collective Canadian citizens and permanent residents 18 years of age and older may sponsor close relatives for immigration to Canada. Sponsor signs a contract that will support the sponsored family member for a period of three to ten years after his arrival. The contract depends on the age of the family with the sponsorship and the nature of the relationship. To apply for family immigration class, the sponsored family member must also sign a contract promising to do everything possible to be self-sufficient.

To be eligible, the developer must demonstrate financial capacity to meet the essential needs of the sponsored connection, if necessary. As a general rule, the sponsor must be residing in Canada. An exception is made for Canadian citizens wishing to sponsor a spouse, cohabitant or child, if the sponsor can demonstrate its intention to reside in Canada for the time being sponsored on land in Canada.

In the Family Class Immigration, you can sponsor your:

    * Spouses or partners
    * Parents or grandparents
    * Dependent children (must be under 22 years of age unless substantially dependent on financial aid, since it is a full-time student, or disability)
    * Children under 18 who is scheduled to take
    * Orphan brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews who are under 18 and unmarried
    * A relative of any age (if you do not have any family members listed above)

The province of Quebec, according to its agreement with Canada on immigration, has a role in determining the eligibility of applicants for sponsorship for residents of Quebec. This role, however, only takes effect after the ICC has completed its initial assessment of the sponsorship application.

5. Business Immigration
The Business Immigration Program is designed for people who can contribute to economic development in Canada through financial investment and management capacity. Individuals with business experience and relatively high net worth may apply under one of three categories of Business Immigration Program.
  • Immigrant Investor Program: Applicants for the investors should have management experience and an investment of CAD $ 400,000, which the government of Canada will return to them at the end of five years, without interest. Applicants for this position must have a net worth of at least CAD $ 800,000 and demonstrate that this wealth was obtained legally. Applicants for the province of Quebec may benefit from a similar Investor Program administered by that province.
  • Entrepreneur Program: Applicants in this category of the Business Immigrant Program must commit to both the management and possess at least a third of a Canadian company. Must have a minimum net worth of CAD $ 300,000. Applicants for the province of Quebec may benefit from a similar program administered by the province Entrepreneur.
  • Self-employed Program: This program is for people with experience and skills in business, culture, sports and agriculture that are willing able to support themselves and their dependents through self income. To implement this program an individual may be necessary to demonstrate the experience, net worth and / or artistic qualifications according to the criteria under which they apply. Applicants for the province of Quebec may benefit from a Self-Employment Program administered by the province.

6. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) serves immigration applicants that education in Canada and / or work experience in Canada. There are different requirements for the two types of applicants:

International graduates with Canadian Experience Requirements:
  • Recently completed a study program of at least two academic years at a Canadian educational institution post-secondary.
  • One year of experience qualified professional or technical work in the 24 months from the date of application.
  • Language skill level required for their occupation.
  • Temporary Foreign Workers Minimum requirements:
  • A minimum of two years of experience qualified professional or technical work in the 36 months following the date of application.
  • Language skill level required for their occupation.

Those eligible for the class of Canadian experience can apply within one year of leaving Canada.

Eligibility is based on a pass or not the model. If the minimum requirements are met, the applicant is eligible.

As a world leader and champion of human rights, Canada also recognizes the responsibility of granting asylum to refugees who face danger, persecution and human rights violations in their country of nationality or habitual residence. system of Canada offers refugee protection to thousands of these people every year. The refugees may be assisted by the government or private can be sponsored by individuals or organizations in Canada.

There are two main components of this program:
  •  Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program: This program is aimed at refugees who are outside Canada. CIC select refugees for resettlement based on the recommendations of the Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees.
  •  Asylum in Canada: This program offers protection to people who are in Canada who fear returning to their country of origin. These cases are reviewed by the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board.

Temporary Residence

You may want to come to Canada on a temporary basis, whether for work, study or travel.

1. Temporary work permit:
To work temporarily in Canada must obtain a job offer from Canada and then apply for a temporary work permit through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

In many cases work permits require that the employer obtains labor market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada confirms that employment will not adversely affect Canadian workers. However, there are a number of exceptions to this rule. In most cases, it is possible to extend a work permit in Canada, but some work permits will be limited.

Spouses and partners of individuals who hold a work permit in Canada can accompany the regular work permit to Canada. In many cases, spouses are entitled to an open work permit, which allows the holder to work for any employer in Canada.

Citizens of countries participating in the Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) may be eligible for a three-year work permit temporary.

2. Permit required:
Most foreign students must apply for a study permit to attend an academic class in Canada. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will normally issue a study permit if the applicant has received an acceptance letter from a qualified educational institution in Canada, and has sufficient funds to pay tuition and living costs. Typically, Study Permits are valid for the duration of the intended course of studies.

Applicants wishing to study in Montreal or another city in the province of Quebec will also require the approval of the immigration authorities of the Government of Quebec.

3. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV):
The Government of Canada requires that visitors (except those from visa waiver countries) get a TRV for travel in Canada for up to six months. The TRV shows that the holder has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a visitor. Temporary residence visas can be single entry or multiple entries.

In the port of entry, all visitors must show that the purpose of his visit to Canada is temporary. Visitors to Canada must also be able to demonstrate their ability to support themselves during their intended stay in Canada temporarily.

Canada To Require Tests In English Or French For Skilled Immigrants

Thursday, April 22, 2010 |

The Canadian government requires that all applicants enter Canada in the category of skilled migrants must demonstrate knowledge of English or French, to prove fluency in official languages, through a test.

Canada, the Federal Republic officer of Citizenship and Immigration announced today that as of 10 April 2010, applicants whose native language is not English or French will submit test results from an independent third party test.

Until now, candidates take an exam or receive a written communication in a language from visa office. But the department now believes that the written declaration is not sufficient to test the English skills of the candidate or French.

Therefore, the new regulation.

This rule applies only to those who wish to apply for immigration to Canada under the skilled worker category and experience, and not to those who are in the family class (see article Family class).

An applicant can take up to 24 percent of 100 points of mastering the language.

Some critics question the logic of asking the mastery of English or French of skilled labor such as construction workers or cooks, including Canada desperately needs, but not necessarily be comfortable or Canada, here both official languages.
Language testing organizations


    * International English Test (IELTS)

This is a test from the University of Cambridge ESOL, British Columbia, the British Council and IDP Australia Pty Ltd managed.

IELTS has two options for reading and writing tests: general and academic education, and applicants should have the choice of general education.

    * The Canadian Index of English language development program

University of British Columbia, Canada, administers the test.


    * Test d Äôevaluation of French (TEF)

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry administers these tests.


Disclaimer: This site is designed to provide general information on Immigration and Settlement related issues. For latest information on immigration rules and laws, please visit appropriate immigration website(s).
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver